Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fear


What is true fear to me? It is and will always be...how can I explain this...a sort of group thought mentality. A loss of individuality.
Like going to a mass Christian rock concert and having a fun, uplifting time, then suddenly the music starts and arms fly into the air. Eyes roll to the back of heads and people start to "praise" and rock back and forth. En masse. I'd run for my life.

You can have a perfectly normal conversation with a devout Catholic and then at some point they will babble, quoting scripture. I'm outta there.

Scientologists tried to convert me on Hollywood Boulevard when I was 16 walking to a movie from my high school (Hollywood High). I was ripe for the picking. I took their test (that took 2 hours of my life) and was sent home with a worn copy of Dianetics and the thought that I was a lousy human being. It took me 24 hours of introspective thought to realize that I was OK. To this day, I feel sick to my stomach walking past the Scientology counter on Hollywood and Las Palmas. I always think these cool people like John Travolta and Juliet Lewis should know better, but I guess they don't.

I even freaked out at my father's AA meeting. Hearing all the tortured individual stories was cool, but at the point where everyone joined hands and said, "AA it works" in unison. I was outta there.

I stopped going to church with my family because there's a point in the service where you have to smile and shake a complete stranger's hand and tell them the lord is with them. Fuck that! Who is this person? Why do I have to touch them? I don't even fucking know them! At 13 I would hide on Sundays until my family finally gave up. Then I became a homo. It figures (I'm sure they thought).

Scariest movie of all time? "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Of course.

No comments: